FB Rice and the Environment
FB Rice appreciates the impact on the local and worldwide community from its activities. We seek to minimise this by following the measure, reduce and avoid, compensate model.
FB Rice has for some years measured its environmental footprint. Measurement includes working with our partner, Pangolin Associates, to determine the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and other impacts from our business operations, including cooling and heating our offices, business travel and electricity used for our computers. This reporting is National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting (NGERs) compliant reporting.
FB Rice holds reporting level membership of the Australian Legal Sector Alliance (AusLSA), an industry-led association working collaboratively to promote sustainable practices across the legal sector.
Reduce and Eliminate
We employ a variety of methods to reduce or even avoid adverse environmental impact, including:
- a “paper-light” strategy, resulting in a 20% reduction in our paper use
- a decrease in the number of printers required through the use of “follow me” printing
- printing on recycled paper using solvent-free printing processes
- recycling of toner cartridges and other IT goods ; we also extend this service to staff who are encouraged to bring in used IT goods
- a preferred purchasing policy for office products made with recycled content
- the use of power monitors and other technology which reduce our energy consumption
- LED lighting in all offices
- virtualised computer servers
- rental of office space in Green Star rated buildings with 4-6 stars
- participation in Earth Hour
- shower facilities and bike lockers provided on site to encourage staff to commute ‘emission free’ to work via bicycle, foot, or other non-motor vehicle means, and
- an increasing number of fair trade kitchen provisions including coffee and tea.
In order to offset the impact of the electricity we consume and travel undertaken for business operations, we purchase verified carbon standard (VCS) carbon credits to ensure that overall no net carbon is added to the environment. Our most recent certification can be viewed here, with a case study of our environmental program by Pangolin Associates here.
If you'd like to know more about our environmental impact strategy, please contact our Chief Operating Officer, Julian Perry.