Ben is a Patent Attorney in the Sydney ICT team, who joined FB Rice in 2014.
Ben specialises in the drafting and prosecution of patent applications in the IT and computer software areas as well as a range of other ICT technologies.
Prior to joining FB Rice, Ben worked as a software engineer for Optus as well as smaller software companies across a number of different industries such as telecommunications, energy and industrial automation. His experience entailed developing specifications, implementing and maintaining complex computer software. This gives Ben an ability to see IP protection from a very commercial perspective, working with his clients to achieve their business and commercial objectives.
He also has experience working at large law firms and AustLII – a service that provides free internet access to Australasian legal materials.
Ben completed a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Engineering majoring in Software Engineering from the University of New South Wales, graduating with first class honours. He is also admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
Ben is currently the Special Interest Group leader for Technology in the NSW Young Lawyers Society and provides reports on technology law to the Communications, Entertainment and Technology Committee.
Ben is a registered Australian and New Zealand Patent Attorney and is located in the Sydney office of FB Rice.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Software Engineering)(Hons I), University of New South Wales
- Bachelor of Laws, University of New South Wales
- Master of Intellectual Property, University of Technology, Sydney
- Internet applications
- Cloud computing
- Information processing
- Business Systems & Methods
- Control Systems
- Electronic Commerce and EFT systems
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- NSW Young Lawyers’ Communications, Entertainment and Technology Committee
- Communication and Media Law Association
- NSW Society for Computers and the Law